As our partner to enjoy responsible travel,
please note some ideas below:
- Journey with an open mind - travel with a genuine desire to learn more about who you meet and what you observe.
- Appreciate all the cultures you discover. Be aware of the feelings of other people, to prevent what might be offensive behaviour on your part. Be sensitive about photography. Ask yourself why you are taking a picture and would you enjoy being photographed in the same situation.
- Cultivate the habit of listening and observing, rather than merely hearing and seeing.
- Realise that often the people in the country you visit have time concepts and thought patterns different from your own. This does not, make them inferior, only different. Try to understand and enjoy this difference.
- Respect and protect the natural environment. Instead of looking for just "stunning views”, look for the richness of another culture and way of life, along with the impressive history of the geological formations.
- Make no promises to people in your host country, unless you intend to carry them through.
- Enjoy yourself, but remember that an extravagant display of wealth is insensitive to local people who may have to manage on much less money than you have. Be conservative in your dress. You will get closer to people if you do not look very different.
- Share your ideas, rather than enforce them – we all have a method that works for us.
- Love, live and laugh – what a way to start and finish each day!